Monday, April 27, 2020

The Half Rats - Throw It Around



Artist: The Half Rats
Title: Throw It Around
Year: 2007
Label: Culture Cast
Tracks: 1.) Throw It Around, 2.) B.M.W. Nuns, 3.) Throw It Around (Demo)

I remember The Half Rats existing during their time but never explored them because I thought they just kind of got lost in the shuffle among a lot of budget pop coming out of Indiana, highlighted by The Romance Novels with honorable mentions to Eric and The Happy Thoughts, The Sweet Sixteens, and The Boy Toys. 

But now that I re-visit The Half Rats, I can hear that they have some legitimately tough garage chops and aren't really all that pop even if they include Ryan from The Boy Toys and Alex from The Perennials. I don't know who wrote these songs but the second 7" credits all the songs to member Tyler who went on to be in the later version of Cococoma and that is closer to what this sounds like. 

This is The Half Rats' first 7". I assume it is self-released. The sleeve only indicates two songs. The third song seems to be a demo version of "Throw It Around". 

Sample: here

No comments:

Post a Comment